Heart Shaped Strawberry Pies are a cute way to give a homemade Valentine’s Day sweet from the ‘heart’ to the ones you love. This can even be a project that you can do together as a family.
Prep Time:35 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes
1 Pie Crust Dough
2 Cups Strawberries, diced very small
2 Tablespoons Sugar
2 Teaspoons Corn Starch
Flour (for rolling out crusts)
1 Eggs, lightly beaten
Nutella, optional but “Hey Why Not?”
Sanding Sugar, to dust on top of pies
1/2 Cup Confectioners Sugar
1-2 Teaspoons Milk
- Combine strawberries, sugar, and starch in a medium bowl. Stir to combine.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper (or aluminum foil with a light coat of non-stick spray)
- Lightly dust a large flat surface for rolling out your dough with flour. Add your pie crust. Rub flour on rolling pin. Roll pie crust out to a pretty thin level (between ¼ – ⅛ inch thick), turning dough as you go so it doesn’t stick. Use a 2½” heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out 20 heart-shaped pieces of dough. More if you have left over dough. Feel free to use whichever size you prefer.
- Move half of the pieces of pie dough to the prepared baking sheet. For each mini pie: Brush dough with egg wash, top with strawberry mixture (try to avoid adding liquid as you go), add about ½-1 teaspoon of nutella if using, top with another piece of dough, matching edges and pressing to seal. Press on the edges with the ends of a fork to help seal. Repeat for the rest of the mini pies.
- Cut small slits into the tops of each mini pie, brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake pies for 22-24 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Allow pies to cool before eating or add a scoop of ice cream or cool whip if you prefer to eat them warm.
Optional icing step: If you don’t use nutella, you’ll probably want to add a bit of icing. Just whisk quickly the confectioner’s sugar and milk (starting with about 1 teaspoon of the milk and adding more as needed) in a bowl and drizzled over the cooled mini pies.